Water Conservation Facts and Suggestions

  • Toilet tank leaks can be silent but costly - from time to time use a dye tablet to check for leaks.
  • Garbage disposal require a lot of water to operate properly.  Start a compost pile instead.
  • Soak your pots and pans instead of letting the water run while you scrape them.
  • Direct downspouts toward shrubs or trees.
  • Use a broom instead of a hose to clean your driveway and sidewalk.
  • Bathe your pets outdoors in an area in need of water.  Select a sprinkler that releases water slowly and close to the ground rather than one that releases a mist that tends to evaporate quickly.
  • Only 1% of the earth's water is available for human consumption. The remaining 99% is either salty or locked in glaciers and ice caps.
  • Only 1% of treated water is actually used for drinking. The remaining 99% goes down the drain or used to water lawns.

  • A 1 drop per second leak will result in the loss of 2,400 gallons per year.
  • A normal faucet runs at a rate of 3-5 gallons per minute. Turn off water while shaving or brushing teeth. Rinse vegetables in a pan of water instead of under the tap.

  • Restricted shower heads run at 5 to 10 gallons per minute. A 5 minute shower requires 25 to 50 gallons of water.
  • A bathtub filled 1/2 full takes 50 gallons of water.

  • One toilet flushing takes 5 to 7 gallons of water. The most common cause of water leaks in the average home is a leaky toilet. You can check for leaks by placing a few drops of food coloring into the toilet tank and letting it sit for 15 minutes. If dye shows up in the bowl you have a leak.
  • Normal dishwasher loads require at least 15 gallons of water. A full dishwasher is more efficient than doing dishes by hand.

  • Each load of laundry normally requires about 50 gallons of or more of water. Be sure that if you can not wait for a full load, be sure to use the proper water level.
  • Be sure to sprinkle lawns and not pavement. Water your lawn with a deep soak, early in the morning. Adjust lawn mower blades to at least 3 inches. A higher cut encourages grass roots to grow deeper, shades the root system and holds moisture better than closely-clipped lawns.

  • Wash your car with a bucket and use a nozzle to stop the water flow from the hose between rinsing's.
  • Cover your pool or spa to prevent evaporation. An average sized pool. left uncovered can lose as much as 1,000 gallons of water per month through evaporation.

 

United States Environmental Protection Agency Protection Agency - https://www.epa.gov/watersense/start-saving 

 

EPA WATER SAVING TIPS:

  1. Inspect sprinkler heads to make sure they're not clogged or broken. 
  2. Make sure pipe joints have tight connections to avoid leaks. 
  3. Direct sprinklers toward plants to ensure water is not wasted on sidewalks or streets. 
  4. Select a WaterSense labeled weather-based irrigation controller. Replacing a standard clock timer with a WaterSense labeled irrigation controller can save an average home nearly 8,800 gallons of water annually.